Sweets & Desserts
Glazed Chocolate & Butterscotch Angel Food Cake
Indulge in this rich and chocolaty twist on a classic recipe. Best of all, it can be made for any occasion.
|1 ½ cups||Phil’s Fresh Eggs Organic Liquid Egg Whites|
|1 cup||Cake flour|
|2 cups||Sugar, divided|
|½ cup||Baking cocoa|
|1 tsp.||Cream of tartar|
|1 tsp.||Pure vanilla extract|
|¼ tsp.||Pure almond extract|
||Semisweet chocolate chips|
||Butterscotch chocolate chips|
|3 Tbsp.||Half and half|
|2||Chocloate bars, crumbled|
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Sift flour, 1 cup sugar and cocoa twice.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla and almond extracts, and salt to the egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, about 2 Tbsp. at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about ½ cup at a time.
- Gently transfer to an ungreased 10” tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack 40-50 minutes or until top crust is golden brown and top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- For glaze, combine chocolate and butterscotch chips and half and half in a microwave-safe bowl; melt in the microwave and stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle crumbled chocolate bars over glaze.