Honey Mustard Chicken Tenders
Don’t let the word tenders fool you. These strips are great for both the kids and adults too. Honey mustard and chicken. Enough said.
- Min 35
- Serves 12
|1 Tbsp.||Plus 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided|
|2 tsp.||Smoked paprika, divided|
|1 tsp.||Onion powder, divided|
|1 tsp.||Garlic powder, divided|
|1 ½ lb.
||Chicken tenderloins or boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 3/4” strips (about 12 strips total)|
||Whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs (if you can’t find whole wheat, substitute regular Panko)**|
|2 Tbsp.||Extra virgin olive oil|
|¼ cup||Phil’s Fresh Eggs Cage Free Liquid Egg Whites|
|1 Tbsp.||Dijon Mustard|
Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce
|½ cup||Non-fat plain Greek yogurt|
|2 Tbsp.||Dijon mustard|
|1 Tbsp.||Plus 1 tsp. honey, plus additional to taste|
- For the Chicken Tenders: In a large bowl, combine 1 Tbsp. salt, 1 tsp. smoked paprika, ½ tsp. onion powder, and ½ tsp. garlic powder in a large bowl. Add the buttermilk and honey and whisk until well combined. Add the chicken tenders, toss to coat, then let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. (Do not allow to sit longer, or the chicken will become too salty.)
- In a large, shallow dish (a 9” x 13” pan works well), combine the Panko breadcrumbs and remaining ½ tsp. salt, 1 tsp. smoked paprika, ½ tsp. onion powder, and ½ tsp. garlic powder. Drizzle the oil over the top, then toss to moisten.
- In a second shallow dish, whisk together the egg whites and mustard.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then place an ovenproof wire rack on top of it. Coat the rack with cooking spray.
- Arrange the following in a line from left to right as follows: egg whites; Panko breadcrumbs; baking sheet. Working with a few pieces of chicken at a time, with your left hand, remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off any excess (this is the “wet” hand). Still with your left hand, dip the chicken into egg mixture, turning to coat all sides, then place in breadcrumb mixture. With your right hand (the “dry” hand), pat the chicken on all sides with the breadcrumbs, pressing them on lightly so that the chicken is well coated. Still with your dry hand, place the chicken on the rack over the baking sheet, Repeat for remaining tenders, leaving a little space between each piece on the rack.
- Bake the chicken until golden brown and the juices run clear, 15-20 minutes.
- While the chicken bakes, stir the Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste, and add additional honey as desired. Serve chicken hot or at room temperature with the dip.
*No buttermilk? Put 1 Tbsp. white vinegar or lemon juice in a 1-cup measuring cup and then fill to the 1-cup line with regular milk (1% or 2% is preferable); let sit 5 minutes. Stir once more, then use in the recipe as directed.
**You can also use regular, unseasoned breadcrumbs in place of the Panko breadcrumbs, but the chicken tenders will not be as crispy.