Sweets & Desserts
Lemon Meringue Angel Food Cake
They call it angel food cake because it tastes divine. This fluffy dessert is light as air and will leave you floating on cloud nine.
||Grade A Jumbo Phil’s Fresh Eggs|
|1 1/2 cups||Sugar, divided|
|1 cup||Cake flour|
|2 tsp.||Cream of tartar|
|1 1/2 tsp.||Pure vanilla extract|
|3||Grade A Jumbo Phil’s Fresh Egg Whites (save yolks for another use)|
|3/4 tsp.||Cream of tartar|
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift ½ cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp. at a time, on high until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about ½ cup at a time.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10” tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake; split into 2 horizontal layers. Place cake bottom on an ovenproof plate. Spread with lemon curd; replace cake top.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tsp. at a time, on high until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread over top and sides of cake, covering completely. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers.